During the sangria entry I mentioned that I hosted a game brunch recently. What does a game brunch consist of? Well, I invited a few friends over and promised them brunch and board games. I told everybody that I would take care of making the food, but they should bring any games that they might feel like playing. The best part about brunch is that it is by far (in my opinion) the easiest meal to host. There are a few reasons for this:
- A lot of the preparation work can be done ahead of time and still taste awesome – breads, muffins, scones, cut up fruit, homemade granola bars, things that need to be made and kept in the fridge overnight
- Many foods can be prepared by the guest him/herself – yogurt parfaits, cereal, smoothies
- Anything done on a griddle can be made in bulk – pancakes, french toast, bacon
- It is easy to make breakfast fancy – that’s why there are so many different types of jams… and chocolate chips
- Accessorizing breakfast is easy – nuts, yogurt covered raisins, string cheese
- The beverage selection is endless – you’ve got your alcohol, you’ve got your juices, you’ve got your milks, you’ve got your hot beverages, you’ve got your cold beverages
There were five us there that morning. The menu consisted of pancakes (with all of the candy toppings), bacon, yogurt, almonds and sangria. That’s it. The yogurt (1 large container – with honey and strawberries as toppings) and almonds (1 container – plenty of leftovers were available) could just be put on the table. I gave a friend the responsibility of making the bacon (1 package). I took control of the griddle for the pancakes (I made enough batter for 21 pancakes) and everybody was in charge of deciding which types of “chips” they wanted in their pancakes (if any) – white chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate or butterscotch (unfortunately I didn’t have any peanut butter). I think the best part about using the griddle, besides it being very fast was that as people wanted more food, it was easy enough for them to get up and make their own pancakes. The cleanup was easy – it helped that everybody cleared her own plate and then the games began.
We played Apples to Apples and Cranium. I thought I would humor you all by showing you exactly how awesome our “characters” were as well.