random things that I’m good at

When you’re listing things that you’re good at, you always start with useful skills.  For example I’m good at singing, I’m good at planning events, I’m good at Microsoft Excel, I’m good at starting up random conversations with people, and I’m good at baking.  However, everybody’s good at things that just don’t fall into this list of useful skills (usually).

This blog post was inspired by a conversation that I had with my friend Josiah a long time ago.  I watched him fold a piece of paper to put in a standard envelope.  I know this sounds ridiculous, but he was really good at it.  Didn’t second guess himself, made the creases nice, it came out straight, it was done quickly, and it fit perfectly in the envelope.  He was good enough at it that I made a point to say something about it.  When I did, he was surprised, but excited and said “thank you for noticing.”  Apparently he had a job a while back where he became a paper-folding-to-a-standard-envelope-size expert.

This is one of those things.  Those random things that people are good at.  It took me this long to write the post because I wanted to make sure I came up with some good ones to share about myself.

2013-02-24, Random Talents 1

1: I am really great at rolling tape.  I use all of my fingers.  I have good turnover time on getting the tape started again.  And I stick at least 4 pieces of tape to my hand before I clear out which means less break time.

2013-02-24, Random Talents 2

2: I am great at cutting paper in straight lines.  You fold it back and forth on the line, press down on the crease, and rip slowly.

2013-02-24, Random Talents 3

3: I am great at scooping cupcake batter into trays.  I’ve got it down to a system – I know exactly which spoon to use, I know exactly how much to scoop, and I don’t usually make too big of a mess.  I’m pretty sure I learned this from my mother.

So tell me, what are some of your greatest random talents?

Comments

1. Brianna Soloski says

I’m really efficient. That’s not really a talent, obviously, but I hate wasting time. If I have a project to do, I like to get it done and move on to the next thing. If I make plans, I like to get up and get moving. Sitting around on the weekends doesn’t appeal to me in any fashion. (I know, I know. I should love lazy weekends, but ugh. Let’s get up and get out.

2. says

Love this post! Those are some good skills – random perhaps, but good. :) One of my random skills is that I make good foam – I work at Starbucks and I honestly get compliments on my foam (as in, for lattes and cappuccinos) and people who get excited that I make their drinks because they know it will be good! :)

• says

You work at Starbucks!!! It all makes sense now! I literally always think Starbucks baristas are awesome. Always. So keep being awesome :) I also think that is an incredible skill that will make my chai that much better.

3. says

I can bend my finger all the way back! Only one, and it’s the one I electrocuted when I was a toddler so not sure that is a talent. I can also fold a single sheet of paper so that it serves as both a letter AND a tiny square envelope, just like they did in the olden days (it’s really easy, so guess this isn’t a talent either…yikes! Clutching at straws!)

4. says

Cupcake batter scooping is a skill i definitely need to work on! I’m always so messy. I’m so jealous that you have it down.
    I think my skill is always being aware if someone has a camera so I’m ready to pose/make sure they don’t get a bad shot of me. Ha!

5. says

Ohhhh, this is a good idea for a post :)

I have a Rain Man-like ability to remember numbers and dates. I know the coronation and death dates of every monarch going back to Richard III, the phone numbers of every childhood friend I’ve ever had and I just need somebody to tell me their phone number once to remember it.