It’s Sunday night. I’m on a plane to Colorado. I’ve had a day, man. At least two full out crying breakdowns (which I’m sure weren’t quite as well concealed as I intended them to be) and one ranting phone call to a friend that managed to take me from livid to a manageable level of wtf. (Thank you.)
I was left alone in my head for a few hours. I assure you nothing good comes from being left alone in my head for that long. It takes approximately five minutes to go from everything is fine in the world to I have failed at everything. (Does this happen to other people too?)
So. I’m going to try to get myself out of that funk right here on this airplane. I’m going to document 10 things that I am doing well right now. I wish I could tell you this was an easy list to make, but I can at least tell you that once I got about 6 or 7 in the list started to flow a little bit better, which is a good sign.
- I have somehow managed to blog even though I have started traveling for work again. Blogging to me is a place to document what’s going on in life, what I’ve learned from it, and hopefully inspire a few people to throw a party or stay in touch along the way. It’s therapeutic, it provides a great sense of community to me, and it lets me empty my head a little bit, so I’m glad I’ve found a way to fit it in.
- I do a really good job at keeping my personal email inbox clean. At any given time there are only about 15 unread items in my inbox, I clear out newsletters I no longer want to receive once a month, and I respond to everything that has a quick answer in just a few hours. Should you ever need to get in touch with me, email is the way to do it.
- I finally bought a bedroom mirror! This means I can see what I look like before I leave the house. Because of this I feel like I’ve been much more put together the past few weeks. This same thing applies to when I stay in hotel rooms because they have such large bathroom mirrors. In my bathroom mirror at home I can’t really gauge what I look like, but at the hotels it’s not a problem.
- I’m decently on top of my holiday cards this year. I have premade 30 Thanksgiving cards and 17 New Year’s cards. I have stamped all the envelopes and written who they’re for. My next task is to make Christmas cards to fill in the blanks. Still plenty of time. Now I just hope I find some time to write in them before I need to send them out.
- Last week I managed to stay on east coast time in Colorado. This meant that I had a few extra hours to myself in the mornings in Colorado and when I traveled back to Philadelphia it wasn’t quite as much of a time shock. I’m hoping to keep this up in the future.
- I’ve been wearing my mouth guard to bed at night. I’ve found this is much easier to do when your bedroom is on the same level of the building as your bathroom. When I’m at home I don’t always have the energy to go down stairs to get the mouth guard to put it back in, but at the hotels I’ve found that it’s much easier.
- I just started a new project at work recently (hence, Colorado) and I’ve found that I’ve been pretty good about asking questions, taking notes, and receiving constructive feedback from people. It’s definitely a good thing to feel like you have control over how things are going from the beginning.
- I recently bought a new smoke detector for my kitchen since the last one was broken and contacted Ikea about sending me additional hardware for my shelves in the bathroom that had fallen out over time. These little fixes definitely make me feel like my home is a little more put together.
- I’m proud that I figured out someone to call when I was falling down that spiral of failing at life. I know that I have a good amount of friends, but every time I get that far in I always start to think that there’s nobody in my life I can count on. That’s not true. I just need to think rationally for one second in the middle of a freak out and can see that. Yay for moments of rationality.
- Over the course of the past two weeks I’ve put together an e-book called Themed Party Ideas with my best party themes over the past 4 years all together in one book. I was shocked to see how much great content I had created over the years and I hope you all like it when it’s released. This will be released for free starting with my mailing list. I’m pretty pumped.
And that’s it. 10 things that are going pretty well in my life right now. It’s nice to remember that even in the midst of all the hot messes there are still some silver linings. And the next good thing I have to look forward to? A 2-hour road trip of belting songs right after I land. How about you? What’s something that’s going well in your life right now