(Please take a moment to appreciate the symbolism of this photo. Trashing some things from 2016, recycling others… too much? Maybe. Eh.)
Happy New Year! (Said like Frosty the Snowman says Happy Birthday.) That’s what I’ve decided. Last weekend was actually New Year’s weekend. I feel a little bit more rejuvenated. There’s a strong possibility that I’m feeling refreshed because I finally had a chance to clean the bathroom, but we’re just going to roll with it.
I’m decided my word for 2017 is going to be simple. If you’ve been reading along for a while or know anything about me in everyday life, you know this is the opposite of how I usually do things. It’s not that I try to make things complicated, I just tend to overthink things and commit to so many things that I find myself making things more complicated than they need to be. My goal is to spend some time cleaning out the excess this year. So what does that mean?
- I’m going to focus on relationships that matter for a while and stop over-complicating things with such a large amount of acquaintances.
- I’m going to stop buying too many groceries and focus on how to best use the food that I already have so that I throw less away. This also includes something I’m working on this year called “stop eating when you’re full,” which is surprisingly harder than expected.
- I’m going to cut down my expenses so that I’m able to save a little bit more money.
- I’m going to get really solid on my values so that the decision to say “yes” or “no” because much more simple. This definitely includes not saying yes because I feel like I’m supposed to say yes.
- I’m going to put my energy into things that I feel like I get some return on as opposed to putting energy in with no positive outcome.
- I’m going to put the work in up front when I start a big idea so that when I actually go to execute, it becomes simpler. For example, I’ve already pre-addressed and organized all of my birthday cards for the year, so now it should just be a matter of picking the card and envelope up off of the top of the pile and getting it sent.
- I’m going to leave some open nights on my calendar so that I can relax. Whatever the heck that means.
When I wrote every one of those bullet points I wrote “I’m going to try to…” and then had to go back and cut out the “try to.” You’re either going to do it or you’re not, right? We’ll see how this goes.
What do I have up my sleeve in terms of the blog?
- Hostess posts about where to start if you have no idea what you’re doing.
- Instead of “weekly snippets” posts I will be switching to currently posts for the year.
- I’m going to be participating in Nicole’s small monthly goals link up.
- I’m going to start a series about following people around while they grocery shop.
- There will continue to be party recap posts.
- There will continue to be greeting card posts.
- I’m 95% sure I will be starting a podcast with Jessica of Sweet Love & Ginger. Maybe we’ll become famous. But let’s be honest, mostly I just want to talk about hosting parties with somebody else who loves hosting parties.
- I’m going to continue to run PHLbloggers.
That seems like enough. I’m excited. It’s going to be good.
PS. I’m linking up with Nicole from Writes Like a Girl who shared her 2017 word: forge. Head on over to her site to check out her (and a lot of other cool people’s) post(s). Maybe it will give you some inspiration for a word of your own.