Y’all. I disappeared. Did anybody notice? I think we call that having a day job. And sending 150 Christmas cards. I’m hoping to relax enough over the course of the next two weeks that I can kick off the year strong in 2017. Fingers crossed. But in the meantime, I really want to share this year’s Christmas Mix CD with you.
I always stress out about finding the exact right songs for the CDs. Which I know is silly. But think about it, every year you have less and less song options because there are only so many new songs that are released every year. Except for 2016. 2016 was apparently the year of all of the CD releases. Everybody thought to themselves, damn, 2016 was kind of a crappy year, I’m going to write a Christmas album to make it a little bit better. So here we are. I would highly recommend checking out (in this order):
So needless to say, this year was pretty easy. To the point that it was actually hard because I had too many versions of I’ll Be Home for Christmas that I wanted to use on the CD. This year, on the car ride to Connecticut for Thanksgiving I decided it would be fun to rank my top holiday songs of all-time. In order to be considered to be a holiday song (for me) more than one person needs to have recorded it. Here’s what I learned:
Chrystina’s Top Five Christmas Songs
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- Mary, Did You Know?
- Merry Christmas, Darling
- The First Noel
Here’s something else I learned. Almost all of my least favorite songs have something to do with animals.
Chrystina’s Bottom Five Christmas Songs
- Up On the Housetop
- Dominic the Donkey
- I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas
- Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
- Frosty The Snowman
Now don’t get me wrong, there are definitely exceptions to the rule. I once worked on a job site where at the end of one of the days very close to Christmas Dominic the Donkey came on in the trailer and one of the bosses and I polka-ed around the trailer. That was a really great moment. He’s unfortunately passed away since then. Then there was A Great Big World’s version of I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas. And of course, Zee Avi’s version of Frosty the Snowman. Those definitely pass the test.
(This is apparently what happens when I take a break from blogging, I have far too much to say when I get back.)
So, yet again, if you have been around for a while, you know that I’ve started recording my own Christmas songs each year with some help form Matt Campana. The first year I recorded Santa Baby. The second year I recorded The Christmas Song. This year I recorded Silent Night in the style of Joan Osborne. Actually, Matt did the piano on the track, which was really cool.
Now, I’ve got to tell you. This was a weird year to record for me. I haven’t sung consistently in over a year, and I’ve got to tell you. I could definitely feel it while recording. But we recorded a bunch of takes, drank a little beer, and everything turned out pretty well in the end. I am definitely anxious to find a place to start singing consistently again though.
So without further ado, I introduce to you, the 2016 Christmas Mix CD.
The 2016 Christmas Mix CD
- Rascal Flatts – Joy to the World
- Susan Egan – All Those Christmas Cliches
- Kacey Musgraves – Ribbons and Bows
- Amy Grant & Vince Gill – Baby, It’s Cold Outside
- Pentatonix – God Rest Ye Merry Genetlemen
- Chris Young – Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
- Aretha Franklin – Kissin’ By The Mistletoe
- The Girl and the Dreamcatcher – Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- Michael Mott – Christmas, Will You Stay?
- Peter Hollens – December Song (A Cappella)
- Jordan Richmond – O Come O Come Emmanuel
- Leslin Odom, Jr. – I’ll Be Home for Christmas
- Megan Hilty – The Christmas Song
- Zac Brown Band & Sara Bareilles – Christmas Tree
- Chrystina Noel – Silent Night
- Daniel Ellsworth & Alva Leigh – It’s Christmas, I Love You
- Marc Broussard – Auld Lang Syne
- Voctave – This Is My Wish / Let There Be Peace On Earth
If you’d like to listen to the mix you can check it out on Spotify below. Hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season!!