Well boys and girls, I can now officially say I’ve explored a new medium of communication. (Yeah, that sounded like I used a Ouija Board, didn’t it? I didn’t. That would officially creep me out.) I’m on my very first podcast! I’m currently visiting Austin on vacation and Nicole & Dago from the Breakfast for Dinner Podcast (#bfdpod) asked if I wanted to be on their show, and of course I said yes! (My initial reaction was: me? Am I cool enough to be on a podcast? I guess Nicole & Dago think I’m cool enough to be on a podcast. Alright, I’ll be on a podcast.)
I’m on Episode 114 which is called Eggs Florentine. You can listen to it here. Here’s the summary:
We have a guest! Chrystina Noel (@chrystinanoel, chrystinanoel.com, @PHLBloggers) is here visiting from Philly. She talks her town blogging in Philly, PHL Bloggers, chrystinanoel.com, staying in touch with friends, throwing parties, dating an introvert, kids shows, Dr. Love, impersonating an adult, Kesha’s legal struggle against Dr. Luke, and The Bachelor. – Dago
I thought it would be fun to give you some behind-the-scenes on how things went, what was cool, and what I would have done differently. Because what’s the fun in something if you don’t analyze it to death afterwards? (This is the part where Nicole would tell me this is a very Chrystina thing to do.)
- I was really nervous. And I wasn’t nervous about talking. I’m great at talking. I love to talk. To anyone. All day. I was nervous because after 27 years I’ve finally realized that I’m not a great “first reaction” person. The reaction that I have to something upon initially hearing it is going to be my overly emotional gut instinct that is rarely the opinion I take in the end. Sometimes you need to talk out all the bad ideas before you get to the good one and sometimes you need to get the idea that you’re hung up on completely flushed out before you can move on to a new one. Anyway, this didn’t happen on the podcast, but it does explain why there are times I decided to stay quiet.
- It was really cool to be a part of the behind the scenes. They shared the script with me ahead of time, I got to do some research on the news stories, I got to sit at the green kitchen table I hear so much about, I even had a nice cuddle session going on with Tess at one point last night. Very cool.
- I feel like I didn’t rep Philadelphia hard enough. I’ve been in Philadelphia 9+ years now. It’s a really awesome city. It’s a neighborhood city with a lot of heart that has flipping delicious food, crazy sports teams fanatics, incredible hospitals, so many museums, bunches of universities, a convention center that is full around the clock, and more festivals than we know what to do with. We love beer. We do pretzels right. Cart food is our jam. And I absolutely love that it’s an approachable city that is super easy to navigate and has so many different pockets of culture. I forgot most of that when we got caught up in a discussion of what a cheesesteak is and what the heck is chicken friend steak.
- At first it feels sort of weird because you’re wearing headphones to talk to the people sitting right next to you, but after about 10 minutes I got over that. So that was cool.
- I was having trouble figuring out how to turn all my facial expressions into commentary.
- Nicole’s impersonating an adult answer is probably my favorite and exactly what I would have wanted to do when I was a teenager.
- I love listening to Nicole narrate the Bachelor even more than I love watching the Bachelor. It’s great on air, but the hand motions that go into it in reality are also pretty good.
- I really loved narrating the BFQ on BFD. (Every week they take a Buzz Feed Quiz on-air and see what their answers come out to be.) This week’s quiz was Which Fictional 90s Teen Heartthrob is Your Soul Mate? Possible outcomes include: Josh Lucas from Clueless, Will Smith from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Zack Siler from She’s All That, Jordan Catalano from My So Called Life, Casper McFadden from Casper, Zack Morris from Saved By the Bell, Pacey Witter from Dawson’s Creek, Jack Dawson from Titanic, and Randy Taylor from Home Improvement (JTT).
- I’ve tried about 20 times to take this quiz to see if Shawn Hunter from Boy Meets World is actually an answer and can’t get him, so if somebody could make that happen that would be great.
- Approximately 45 minutes after the pocast ended I texted Tory to see if she wanted to start a podcast of our own. I have no idea if it’s going to happen, but it’ll be fun to dream about for the next few days. You know, in my free time.
And that’s it. That’s how my first podcasting experience went. It was a lot of fun. Maybe I’ll get the chance to do another one day. Or who knows, maybe Tory and I will start our own. Speaking of Tess, here she is again. Have a good day y’all.
Oh. And absolutely let me know who you get as an answer on that Buzz Feed Quiz.