I hope you’re singing Teach Me How to Dougie right now. (Haha, and if you weren’t before, you probably are now.)
^Mom, click here to figure out what I’m talking about.^
Alright, now that we’ve covered that, I’d like y’all to meet Carly. Originally from Florida, currently living in Philadelphia (she currently has a definite love / hate relationship with Philadelphia), and one of my best friends in real life. She blogs over here at the Floradelphian.
One of the things that I’ve always admired about Carly are her hashtagging skills. Hashtagging is definitely a skill, it’s a mindset that you need to get yourself into. It takes practice. You’ve got to figure out how to be creative. Actually, this holds true for all of social media if you’re a blogger. Most of her hashtags are for entertainment purposes and not necessarily for increasing views/clicks/hits, but sometimes it’s the entertainment factor for the win.
I decided to ask her for a little bit of guidance since the way I learn best is by example. I took 15 tweets that I had written and asked her to hashtag them for me. Here were her suggestions.
- I need to get a camera filter the same color as my sunglasses lenses.
- My nose is the same color as Rudolf’s.
- There’s guacamole on my pizza.
- The cars in the scrap metal lot make me sad. I think I’ve watched too many Pixar movies.
- Today I put a note on my camera that said battery so I won’t forget it. Am I getting smarter or losing my mind?
- Live music at the Comcast Center during lunch. Upright bass, xylophone, and a guitar. Pretty cool, not gonna lie.
- The amount of times a day I’m tempted to spend money completely blows my mind. I really need to work on this.
- I love that my friends accept the fact that I send them texts +1 month out asking them to make plans as normal.
- Mission Fathers’ Day surprise was a success. Totally felt like I was in my own Halmark commercial.
- It’s always weird sleeping in my bed at home. At least there’s a 4 foot Minnie Mouse to keep me company.
- “I want to make you feel wanted.” @HunterHayes might be the smartest man in the world.
- It’s not even remotely fair that guys not have to wear wedding rings. How am I supposed to know who I can hit on?
#unfairadvantage #lifesnotfair #takingchances
- My roommate is informing me that if I wear a dress I need to shave my legs. I’m not sure how I feel about this.
- So many girls I can’t even handle it.
- I always wanted my ex boyfriend to show up at the airport when I arrived home so I could feel missed and special.
I mean, look how super crafty some of those are. She even used my own hashtag #lifeofaconsultant. You would have thought I would think of that. Oh, also, if you only choose one hashtag on the ones that have multiple it will be under 140 characters, I just couldn’t choose because I loved them all so much. So here are some common themes that I saw:
- Try stating the obvious. (#confession)
- Try asking a question. (#didishavemylegsforthis)
- Start your own hashtag. (#lifeofaconsultant)
- Think big picture. (#quarterlifecrisis)
- Find the humor, even if it’s morbid. (#skincancer)
- Use interjections. (#ole)
- Push the limits. (#estrogen)
- Use catch phrases. (#nevergonnagrowup)
In order to follow along for more twitter adventures, follow us here:
What are some of your hashtagging tips?
PS. Please note I’m STILL listening to Teach Me How To Dougie from when I started writing this blog post.